Re: st: -usesas- and formats

From   "Clinton Thompson" <>
Subject   Re: st: -usesas- and formats
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:00:28 -0400

One SAS format not transferred (among many) is the following:

            .D                  =    'DK/NS'
            .R                  =    'REFUSED'
            1                   =    'Age 18 to 64'
            2                   =    'Age 65 or older'
            3                   =    'Do not know/Refused/Missing'

Note that, following a cursory review of which formats are not
transferred, most (perhaps all?) of the offending formats begin w/ an
underscore (as the one above).  Also note that even though many of the
formats are transferred and are identifiable via -label dir-, they are
still not appended to the appropriate variable.  And parenthetically,
the syntax I used to transfer the SAS file to Stata follows:

usesas using "pathname of SAS file", formats

where there is a FORMAT file in the *same* directory as the SAS file
named "formats.sas7bcat" (per the requirements from the -usesas- help

Thanks again!