Re: st: stcox output: p-value and CI don't agree

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stcox output: p-value and CI don't agree
Date   Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:02:09 +0930

OK. I was wrong and I was (perhaps) right.

I was wrong is assuming you were merely doing:

.stcox drug, vce(bootstrap)

in which case the header of the "coefficient" column is, as it should be, "Observed Haz Ratio".

But in fact you were using a separate bootstrapping program, and, as you rightly say, the "coefficient" IS the bootstrap estimate of the hazard ratio (since you are bootstrapping exp_b[drug]).

But you are not bootstrapping estimates of the upper and lower confidence intervals on the exponential scale. Stata just sees the 100 instances of the "coefficients" as numbers, not hazard ratios, it gets their mean which it reports as the final estimate of "coefficient" (OK) and it gets their standard deviation and it just does the usual normal large sample approximation to a confidence interval. But the coverage of this confidence interval may not be very good, because the hazard ratio is not usually well approximated by a normal distribution. One usually deals with this by operating on the log scale - more closely approximating the normal distribution - and exponentiating afterwards.

So, what happens to your paradoxical example if you bootstrap _b[drug] rather than exp(_b[drug]) and exponentiate the reported coefficient, the lower limit and the upper limit as the final step? Does this resolve the inconsistency?

Phil