st: RE: Incomplete references are not acceptable

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Incomplete references are not acceptable
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:59:16 -0400

Despite the fact that I agree that providing full references
are in the best interests of a Statalist poster, I strongly
disagree that such posters should be publicly denigrated on
the list for failing to provide such. This issue has gone
from appropriate gentle reminders to what I see as
inappropriate flamings.

Realistically, I think more harm will come to Statlist from a
a continuation of flaming than if the whole issue was ignored.

Why not let those who do not help themselves (by providing
full references) simply be ignored? If the list has become a
"what's in it for me?" exercize for responders, they should
simply stop responding.

My impression is that the recently-flamed posters are also
recent additions to the list... Isn't it clear that flaming
is simply not the way we should be welcoming new participants?

I invite Statalist members to use their personal judgment
concerning whether to refuse to answer postings with incomplete
references and to consider leaving the list if they believe
their personal gain (a potentially useful reference) justifies
flaming.

Tom

Thomas J. Steichen
[email protected]