RE: st: Suggestions for Second Edition of A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Suggestions for Second Edition of A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics
Date   Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:34:41 +0100

Fred Wolfe replied to Michael Mitchell's request for suggestions
on a second edition of "A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics" with
several thoughts from his experience.

I have extracted two comments here, which should be of
interest beyond the book and before any second edition appears:

> For bar and dot graphs, orientation is almost exclusively to over()
> and by(). But I often have to make such graphs under circumstances
> where over groups are not mutually exclusive. For example, instead of
> having an over group for drugs that patients might take, I have
> situations where patients take more than one drug, making the over
> group option useless to me. So I would very much like to see an
> expanded section on handling overlapping groups - or non-grouped
> data. Too much group stuff for me, but perhaps not for others.

I am not clear what the difficulty here is at all. Please give
a specific example or more detail.

> Converting proportions to percentages is a frequent task. Maybe
> adding some lines of code to do simple tasks like this would be
> helpful.

Sorry, but what's the complication to be explained here?
Multiplication by 100?