Re: st: RE: Splitting numeric values

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Splitting numeric values
Date   Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:05:01 +0100 (BST)

--- On Jul 23, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Susan Olivia wrote:
> > I think the culprit is due to having the id as numeric variable
> > that comes with 18 digits and stored as double as suggested by
> > Profs Buis and Cox.

As I said before, you can store only 16 digits in a double variable, so
the last two digits of the variable id are now random noice and do not
correspond to the variable id in your original dataset.
--- "Michael S. Hanson" <> wrote:
> Assuming your original data are in Excel, I suspect you'd be in much
> better shape overall if you read the "id" variable in as a string
> from the start.

This is actually the only way to store all 18 digits of your id

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081