st: RV: RE: RV: RE: Sum over all possible combinations

From   "Julio Estevez" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RV: RE: RV: RE: Sum over all possible combinations
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:17:42 -0500

Following Nick's suggestion let me explain the _real_problem

What I need to do is construct a Polarization measure, in particulat the one presented by Esteban and Ray (Econometrica, 1994):

suppose yi represents the average income of the typical individual belonging to class i. The population is divided into n groups.

I need to construct an indicator that sums over all i and j the following term:

wij*abs(yi - yj)

wij, the weighting scheme, has the following form:

wij = (si^d)*(sj)

where si is the population weight of group i, sj is the population weight of group j and d is constant.

Hope this helps and somebody may help me finding a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Julio