Re: st: patterns of missing data by interviewers

Subject   Re: st: patterns of missing data by interviewers
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:53:35 -0400

Govind Bell Acharya <[email protected]>:
I assume you saw the response from Nick Cox.

Assuming you want variables named a-f as below,, and you've got an
interviewer id/name variable a on some data with a variable q which is
the reponse to an item, where missing is appropriately coded (. or .a
through .z), and surveyid indexing each survey, you can

bys a surveyid: gen fq=_n==1
g miss=mi(q)
bys a: g d=_N
collapse (sum) b=fq (sum) c=miss d, by(a)
gen e=c/d

You can get the mean over some group of interviewers with
egen mpcmi=mean(e), by(groupvar)
though if you want the mean over everyone, so that f is the same for
everyone, you should just

su e, meanonly
gen f=e-r(mean)

See also -help collapse- and