st: wrapping title with by option

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: wrapping title with by option
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:38:00 +0100 (BST)

I was trying to help these guys http://tables2graphs.com/doku.php by
providing them with Stata code for some of their graphs (they requested
that here:
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/movabletype/archives/2007/07/tables2graphsco.html
)

Anyhow I got already stuck on the first graph on what seems to be a
minor thing, the wrapping of the subtitles. I was trying to recreate
that graph with the -by()- option, but couldn't get the subtitles to
wrap.

The subtitles are obtained from the value labels, and titles wrap by
feeding them two (or more) strings, so thought lets create value labels
with multiple strings, which is possible by surrounding them with
compound quotes. However, for once I think that the compound quotes
work too well, because when I create the graph they are treated as one
string. I realize that this is good behaviour, but it doesn't solve my
problem of how to wrap titles with the -by()- option. Does anyone have
any thoughts?

*--------------- begin example ----------------
sysuse auto, clear

label defin foreign 0 `""realy long" "title""' /*
                */  1 `""another" "long title""'
label value foreign foreign
twoway scatter pri mpg, by(foreign)
*---------------- end example ------------------