RE: st: svy: mean and descriptive tables

From   "Claire Kamp Dush" <[email protected]>
To   "Austin Nichols" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: svy: mean and descriptive tables
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:29:51 -0400

Dear Austin,
Thank you for this kind reply as well.  I am actually svyset'ing by 3
different weights (by census sampling unit, by high school id, and by an
individual weight), so I didn't try the summarize command, though it
certainly crossed my mind.  Similar to this, there is the outsum program
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/klp27/ written by one of my former
colleagues at Cornell, Kerry Paps, that also create output tables and
allows for some weights.
Thanks Austin, Claire

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Nichols [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:09 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: svy: mean and descriptive tables

Claire--
This horse may have died before I arrived on the scene, but let me add
Jeff's exhaustive comments that the mean and sd are also available
from -summarize- by treating your pweights as aweights (see
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/supweight.html for more).
So you could use r(mean) and r(sd) after -su- like so:

cap prog drop msd_tab
prog msd_tab
 version 8
 syntax varlist
 local w: char _dta[pweight]
 local k : list sizeof varlist
 di as txt %12s "Variable"  _c
 di as txt %10s "N"         _c
 di as txt %12s "Mean"      _c
 di as txt %12s "Std. Dev."
 forval i = 1/`k' {
  local var : word `i' of `varlist'
  qui su `var' [aw=`w']
  di as txt %12s "`var'"     _c
  di " "  as res %9.0g r(N)  _c
  di "   " as res %9.0g r(mean)  _c
  di "   " as res %9.0g r(sd)
 }
end
webuse nhanes2, clear
msd_tab smsa height weight bpsystol bpdiast tcresult tgresult