RE: st: Copy table--how to consistently get correct tab stops

From   "Mak, Timothy" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Copy table--how to consistently get correct tab stops
Date   Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:47:35 +0100

I don't use SAS so I cannot comment on SAS, but I have to say Stata is
far far more flexible in its output of nicely formatted tables than SPSS
can ever be. I don't use the Copy Table function, but what I do is I use
the -display- function to get the stats in exactly the format I want. Ok
I don't know how to generate a 'tab' in Stata, but instead of tab, I can
generate a funny piece of string, say "zzz" or something, and use copy
text in Stata to paste the whole thing in Word. Use Find/Replace to
change all the "zzz" to tabs, then use Convert text to table in Word.
Voila. Done! No need to fix up decimal places, change the order of the
stats, etc. Output is always consistent as long as you type your
-display- function the same way. Down side is, of course you need to
learn to write the -display- command, but the time saved will soon make
it worthwhile.

Tim

PS An even quicker way is to use paragraph marks instead of tabs, and
then just use Convert text to table in Word, and adjust the number of
columns.