Re: st: RE: dependent as denominator on the RHS

Subject   Re: st: RE: dependent as denominator on the RHS
Date   Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:57:23 -0400

VU HOANG NAM:
I disagree with Dirk's characterization--regressing R on E/R is not
the same as regressing R2 (=R*R) on XR and E, which is not the same as
regressing R on sqrt(E) and sqrt(XR), where X is all other RHS
("independent") variables, even if only a constant term.  Unless you
replace R and E/R in your specification with their logs, so that you
can add or subtract rather than multiply and divide the equation, you
cannot easily convert between functional forms.

sysuse auto, clear
g pm=pr/mpg
reg mpg pm
g mpg2=mpg^2
reg mpg2 pr
gen rootpr=sqrt(pr)
reg mpg rootpr

There are conceptual issues in regressing R on E/R that depend on your
specific application (what is your theoretical model justifying the
regression?) but there is also endogeneity induced by measurement
error in R.  Normally, measurement error in the dependent variable is
of no consequence to the estimated coef, but here it is quite
problematic.  Classical measurement error in E presumably has the
usual effect (bias toward zero), and can be addressed through -ivreg-
or -ivreg2- with appropriate instruments, but measurement error in R
introduces nonclassical measurement error.  The problem is usually
known by the name "division bias" and frequently occurs when
regressing H (hours) on Y/H (wage rate) in labor economics, see e.g.

George J. Borjas
The Relationship between Wages and Weekly Hours of Work: The Role of
Division Bias
The Journal of Human Resources, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Summer, 1980), pp. 409-423

Eric French
The Labor Supply Response to (Mismeasured but) Predictable Wage Changes
The Review of Economics and Statistics
May 2004, Vol. 86, No. 2, Pages 602-613