Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: re: general varlist in programs

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: general varlist in programs
Date   Mon, 21 May 2007 16:01:54 -0400

sacrificial ewe

Kyle said

I am using Stata v.8, and I want to write a program like

program progname
syntax varlist

Where I can call it in a statement like

progname y x* z*

When I try to do so, it gives me an error "* invalid name".

In the overall program that I am writing, I need to input different
numbers of x and z variables, so it's not feasible for me to type them all
out in the program call.

This must be a simple fix, but I just can't find the solution in the help
files. Does anyone know what to do?

I don't have any problem with this in Stata 9.2:

prog drop _all
prog testwild
syntax varlist
di "`varlist'"

. testwild pop*
pop poplt5 pop5_17 pop18p pop65p popurban

. testwild pop* m*
pop poplt5 pop5_17 pop18p pop65p popurban medage marriage

Can't say about Stata v8, as I no longer have a copy, but don't see why this would change.

* For searches and help try: