Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: Pls help me! question regarding panel fixed effect model

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: Pls help me! question regarding panel fixed effect model
Date   Sun, 20 May 2007 07:56:26 -0400

sacrificial rutabaga

Although Clive's willingness to help early on a Sunday morning is admirable, some of his advice is a bit off base.

(1) ivreg2 will NOT fit a fixed effect model. Mark Schaffer's xtivreg2 will do so (and is in fact a 'wrapper' for ivreg2, so will allow for all of the ivreg2 options).

(2) cluster-robust SEs allow errors to be heteroskedastic and arbitrarily correlated with one another within clusters (but independent of those in other clusters). A robust SE treatment allows unspecified arbitrary heteroskedasticity. Cluster-robust SEs can appear in a purely cross-sectional context. If you are in a panel context, you may well want to treat the prospect of non-independently distributed errors with something like the Newey-West estimator, which as Clive says would be invoked with bw(2) [which allows for AR (1) errors].

(3) You cannot combine HAC estimation ("Newey-West") with cluster- robust SEs. Use one or the other. You can combine robust and cluster (varname) in any Stata command that allows cluster(), but 'robust' is redundant, as cluster-robust SEs are always robust.