Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Elementary texts

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Elementary texts
Date   Sat, 19 May 2007 22:56:38 -0500

At 03:31 PM 5/19/2007, Brendan Halpin wrote:
I'm proposing to teach elementary to intermediate quantitative
methods to social science graduate students, via Stata, next

This involves a radical departure from "that other package" and I
really need a suitable text to go with it. Kohler & Kreuter's "Data
Analysis using Stata" and Acock's "Gentle Introduction" both seem
I like Acock's book, haven't seen Kohler & Kreuter. It used to be that Hamilton's book was the only game in town. It is still a good choice:

I have a lot of handouts where I show how to do things in both SPSS and Stata. See

I'll be updating that page soon when I get a chance.

Incidentally, I find Stata far better than that "other package" for classroom teaching. I can give Stata commands quickly and easily and not have to wade through a bunch of menus. I also find Stata's "ask for a little, get a little" approach much better for teaching because it lets me break things up into logical, manageable chunks, rather than overwhelming you with a ton of output all at once.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: