Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Elementary texts

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Elementary texts
Date   Sat, 19 May 2007 23:04:55 +0100 (BST)

--- Brendan Halpin <> wrote:
> I'm proposing to teach elementary to intermediate quantitative
> methods to social science graduate students, via Stata, next
> autumn.
> This involves a radical departure from "that other package" and I
> really need a suitable text to go with it. Kohler & Kreuter's "Data
> Analysis using Stata" and Acock's "Gentle Introduction" both seem
> attractive.
> Could I please solicit experiences and attitudes, other
> suggestions?

When I am helping people to get started with Stata I usually let them
go through chapter 2 of (Long and Freese 2006).

Hope this helps,

J. Scott Long and Jeremy Freese (2006) "Regression Models for
Categorical Dependent Variables Using Stata", 2nd Edition. College
Station, Stata-press.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081