Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: can't continue after estimation failure

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: can't continue after estimation failure
Date   Thu, 17 May 2007 13:04:48 -0500

Hello - I've been running a simulation involiving estimation with
-xtintreg- on bootstrapped samples. Some of my samples are so degenerate
that there is no between-subject variance. As a result (I think),
-xtintreg- hangs up after an apparent "infinite" likelihood on Iteration
0, before the -iterate- option can stop it. Is there a way to abort this
estimation and continue the simulation when this occurs, other than
checking for identical values of the dependent variable over the
grouping variable? Here's the command I issued - neither the "cap" nor
the "iter" option helps.

cap xtintreg zflow zfupp iit3 iit4 iast if icyt==`i' & iast==0  ,i(jsub)
nolog intm(agh) intp(20) iter(25)

Obtaining starting values for full model:
Iteration 0:    log likelihood = -8.99e+307

[hangs up at this point]

Al Feiveson