Re: st: RE: generating new vars from old by cutting off a portion off the old

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: generating new vars from old by cutting off a portion off the old
Date   Mon, 14 May 2007 10:03:21 -0400

Actually, given the proposed solution it appears that the worry is not specifically "about 8", but whether the "State" code (a) always begins with the 4th character, and (b) always is just 2 characters long. Depending on the universe of potential values of "oldvar", there may exist applications of -assert- that can check these desired conditions. However, notice that the currently proposed application of -substr- should work as intended on values such as "CITNA34", "CITNA034", and "CITNA0340", but will fail on "CINA134" and the like.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike