RE: st: RE: generating new vars from old by cutting off a portion off the old

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: generating new vars from old by cutting off a portion off the old
Date   Mon, 14 May 2007 09:05:57 +0100

Nevertheless, your description "about 8" is worrying.
In any observations that have some other number
of characters, this solution may be incorrect. Try

. assert length(oldvar) == 8

> That worked beautifully, thank you.  Just saved me five hours
> of banging
> my head against the wall.

> > Try
> >
> > gen str State = substr(oldvar,4,2)
> >
> > This assumes that your original variable was string.

[email protected]