Re: st: xtile and "by" question

From   Edgard Alfonso Polanco Aguilar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtile and "by" question
Date   Tue, 08 May 2007 18:42:30 -0500

Hi everybody,

Sergio, your hack was very helpful, it works great but in some dates it skips a quantile in some specific cities. For example, in the last period it "jumps" from quantile 4 to quantile 6. Don't you know why something like this would happen? I'm not very accustomed to macros and some of the syntax you used.

Thanks

Sergio Correia escribi�:

Well, it seems that you should hack around that problem.
Something like this may help

* 1) Let's create a variable with the levels, and save them on a local macro
egen levels = group(date city)
levelsof levels, local(levels)

* 2) Now let's run a loop
gen output = .
foreach l of local levels {
xtile temp=income if levels==`l'
replace output = temp if output==.
drop temp
}

I tried it on some dummy data and it appeared to work.

Best,
Sergio