Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: xtile and "by" question

From   "Sergio Correia" <>
Subject   Re: st: xtile and "by" question
Date   Tue, 8 May 2007 18:28:40 -0400

Well, it seems that you should hack around that problem.
Something like this may help

* 1) Let's create a variable with the levels, and save them on a local macro
egen levels = group(date city)
levelsof levels, local(levels)

* 2) Now let's run a loop
gen output = .
foreach l of local levels {
	xtile temp=income if levels==`l'
	replace output = temp if output==.
	drop temp

I tried it on some dummy data and it appeared to work.