From   "Stephan Brunow" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: no room to add more variables...
Date   Tue, 8 May 2007 10:04:51 +0200

how would it be to estimate a random coefficient model - then you probably do not need the mass of dummy variables?
See xtreg or xtmixed or xt at all.

Stephan Brunow
MSc. in Economics und Diplom-Verkehrswirtschaftler
Professur für VWL, insb. Makroökonomik und Raumwirtschaftslehre/Regionalwissenschaften
Institut für Wirtschaft und Verkehr
Fakultät für Verkehrswissenschaften „Friedrich List"
Technische Universität Dresden
D-01062 Dresden

Phone: ++49-(0)351-463-36806
Fax: ++49-(0)351-463-36819

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [] Im Auftrag von John Worrall
Gesendet: Montag, 7. Mai 2007 21:45
Betreff: st: no room to add more variables...

I have a panel dataset of about 3800 cases over 12 years (45625
observations).  I'm estimating fixed effects models, so I assume that
adds unit dummies.  I enter year dummies manually.  I also have some
"growth cells" that are dummies (768 in total).  Altogether, my
variables, unit dummies, year dummies, and growth cells = just shy of
4600 variables.  My system has .99GB Ram.  The data file is 39873KB.  I
have set maxvar, memory, and matsize to various sizes.  I either get
the "no room to add more variables due to width" or it takes an
eternity to run the model--longer than I want to wait.  Any ideas?  Do
I need more memory?

John Worrall

John L. Worrall
Associate Professor