Re: st: Heterokedasticity - help

From   Tung Le <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Heterokedasticity - help
Date   Thu, 3 May 2007 11:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ingo, thanks for your help. I use Stata 8.2 Intercool and it does not allows for xtreg,, fe, robust as well as cluster option. For the xtscc, when I run it says: option prop() not allowed (error occurred while loading xtscc.ado)
My dataset contains financial information (balance sheets and profit and loss accounts items) of around 730,000 observations of 79,000 firms in 12 years. I run xttest3 and it suggests that there is hetero in the sample. Should I trust this tests?
I also run xttest2 to test for the cross sectional dependence but it says: "firms contains all missing values" - nightmare!
Le

----- Original Message ----
From: Ingo Brooks <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:09:21 PM
Subject: Re: st: Heterokedasticity - help

Le,

Which Stata version do you use? In Stata 9.2 you can estimate fixed
effects models with heteroscedasticity consistent standard error
estimates. Just type -xtreg ... , fe robust-. However, typically you
should not estimate a fixed effects model with just heteroscedasticity
consistent standard errors but rather a model with panel robust
standard errors. In Stata 9.2 you can do this by typing -xtreg ... ,
fe cluster(ID)- where ID is assumed to be the panel identifier.

However, your panel seems to be a microeconometric panel. Therefore,
probably heteroscedasticity is not the main problem for your
residuals. Rather the problem might be cross-sectional dependence
between the subjects. Therefore, I would recommend you to estimate a
fixed effects model with Driscoll-Kraay standard errors since these
standard errors are heteroscedasticity consistent and robust to
cross-sectional as well as temporal dependence. Thanks to Dan
Hoechle's -xtscc- program it is simple to estimate fixed-effects
regressions with Driscoll-Kraay standard errors. Just type -xtscc ...
, fe-. To download the program type -net search xtscc-.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ingo