Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: ice problem: return code 2000

Subject   st: ice problem: return code 2000
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:43:34 -0400

I am having a problem getting the ice multiple imputation command to run.  I have used it many times and it has worked without a problem.  Today is a different story:

I am using the command structure:

ice x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 using "M:\statafiles\data\imputed.dta", seed(2007) m(5)

After a few minutes of "thinking" Stata provides the response:

I looked up the meaning of this error and it reads:

error  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Return code 2000
         no observations;
         You have requested some statistical calculation and there are
         no observations on which to perform it.  Perhaps you specified
         if exp or in range and inadvertently filtered all the data.

I am not sure exactly what that means with respect to my data file.  The file that I am using has valid values for the variables in the list (x1...x5) and all the missing values are listed with a period "."

Does anyone have any idea why I am getting this message and what needs to be done to rectify this?