Re: st: -tabout- syntax

From   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -tabout- syntax
Date   Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:27:05 +1000

Herve STOLOWY wrote:
Dear Statalisters:

I have not used -tabout- (downloadable from ssc) for a while and face
some difficulties (even after having looked at the tutorial).

I want to get a summary two-way table with counts. This is my syntax:

tabout  format_bs format_is using statdes_table5_A, replace c(count
format_is) f(0) sum stats(chi2)

format_bs and format_is are two binary variables (coded 0 or 1).

I have two questions:

1 - I have added 'format-is' after 'count' because, without a
variable name, it did not work. But I don't understand the meaning of
this variable after 'count' and the figures I get are OK.

2 - I don't get the chi2 in the output.

-tabout- uses both the output from tabulate and the output from
summarize (with the detail option) in its calculations.

In asking for a "count", you have asked for a summary statistic, that
is, the count or N (number of observations) used by summarize (with the
detail option), so the variable you feed into the cell option (c count
format-is) is the equivalent of

sum format-is, d

result returned in r(N). As the -tabout- help explains, you can also get
the same result with (n format-is) ("Note that you may enter the median
as either p50 or median and you may enter N as either N or count.")

You don't get a chi2 because that is only available with -tabulate- and
you will not get that with your syntax.

Perhaps you are after the following:

tabout  format_bs format_is using statdes_table5_A, replace c(freq) f(0)
stats(chi2)

Consider the following example:

 sysuse auto

 tabout rep78 for using ian, rep c(count for) f(0) sum stats(chi2)

Table output written to: ian

         Car type
Repair Record 1978      Domestic        Foreign Total
         Count for       Count for       Count for
1       2       0       2
2       8       0       8
3       27      3       30
4       9       9       18
5       2       9       11
Total   48      21      69

 help summarize

 help tabout

 tabout rep78 for using ian, rep c(freq) f(0) stats(chi2)

Table output written to: ian

         Car type
Repair Record 1978      Domestic        Foreign Total
         No.     No.     No.
1       2       0       2
2       8       0       8
3       27      3       30