Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: RE: time series plot with shaded bands

From   "MA V" <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: time series plot with shaded bands
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:38:39 +0000

That works great! Thanks. I have another problem, though...
My data is annual but I would like to specify quarterly ranges for the shaded bands.
i.e. I want the time series plot to "connect the dots" for yearly observations but I want to specify a range that goes from Jan to March in a given year, for example.
Any suggestions?

From: "Maarten Buis" <>
To: <>
Subject: RE: st: RE: time series plot with shaded bands
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:35:12 +0200

---- MA V wrote:
> Actually, the command you suggested does not work very well for me since it
> needs a lot of new variables to be generated. Also, what I'm looking for is
> a shaded band that covers an interval between two dates.

What about this:
*--------- begin example ---------
sysuse sp500, clear
tsset date

local begin = mdy(5,1,2001)
local end = mdy(6,1,2001)

twoway function y = 1400, /*
*/ range(`begin' `end') /*
*/ color(gs12) recast(area) || /*
*/ tsline open, clstyle(solid)
*----------- end example ----------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see : )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

* For searches and help try:
Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get intro-rate 4.625%*

* For searches and help try: