Re: st: eliminate oppositie positive and negative values

Subject   Re: st: eliminate oppositie positive and negative values
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:42:32 -0400

Woops, I copied your own syntax errors below. Clearly, yoiu can't have a variable named abs(xm) and the code should be changed to absxm. Also, I would combine replace todrop line in with the gen todrop line as one logical condition, since it should be faster that way, especially if you are working with a large dataset and many times though the loop.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Blasnik" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: st: eliminate oppositie positive and negative values

That wouldn't work because there could be offsetting charges and non offsetting charges on the same date so the sum wouldn't be zero.

Although there may be better ways to do this, to repeat the loop until there is nothing to change you can use while loop that continues based on a test.

gen abscharge=abs(charge)
gen abs(xm)=abs(xm)
local go=1
while `go' {
bysort personid proc date abscharge abs(xm)(charge) :
gen byte todrop=charge!=charge[_n-1] & _n>1
bysort personid proc date abscharge absxm (charge) :
replace todrop=1 if charge!=charge[_n+1] & _n<_N
qui count if todrop==1
if r(N)==0 local go=0
drop if todrop==1
drop todrop