Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: data management

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: data management
Date   Sun, 25 Mar 2007 07:14:45 -0400

A more elegant solution that avoids having to perform all those replace or recodes is to create a separate dataset with two variables: id and newid:

1 3
2 5
3 8

You then sort that dataset by id and save as id_concord. Then in your current data set, -sort id- and -merge id using id_concord-. This technique can be used to either change ids on a one-to-one basis or map a number of ids into another scheme, such as a region grouping.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics