st: RE: Compute a summary variable based on a predefined algorithm

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Compute a summary variable based on a predefined algorithm
Date   Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:25:03 -0000

This problem is easier than you think in that no use of looping
(-foreach- etc.) is needed. It is difficult in that there are
different possible reactions to missings on -v1-. This
post indicates one kind of solution.

You have panel data. You could -tsset- it without loss:

tsset childid day

That means that you could then use -tsspell- from SSC.
Alternatively, you can work from first principles.
I show the latter, but you might to look at -tsspell- too.

On one definition, each episode of diarrhea (in English,
diarrhoea) starts when v1 is 1 and the preceding value is not 1:

bysort childid (day): gen first = v1 == 1 & v1[_n-1] != 1

-first- is an indicator variable. You can use it to define
episodes:

by childid : gen episodes = sum(first)

_or_

by childid : gen episodes = cond(v1 == 0, 0, sum(first))

You can record the start dates of each episode:

by childid : gen start = day if first
by childid : replace start = start[_n-1] if !first

The time since the previous start is then

by childid : gen time_since = start - start[_n-1] if first

and you are then interested in counting how many episodes
are not within three days of the previous:

by childid : egen n_episodes = total(first * (time_since >= 3))

The first episode is always included on this definition.

Shuaib Kauchali