Re: st: RE: Compute a summary variable based on a predefined algorithm

From   "Shuaib Kauchali" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Compute a summary variable based on a predefined algorithm
Date   Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:08:43 +0200

Hi there,

I tried this; to generate first (I am calling first3):

bysort childid (day): gen first3=diar==1 & diar[_n-1]!=1 & diar[_n-2]!=1 & diar[_n-3]!=1

Here I got the desired results: i.e, correct definition of an episode of diar. Please see the revised screenshot showing the new listing of first3 and epis3.

Now the next challenge is to define peristent diarrhoea (a string of >= 14 consecutive diar days).

e.g. diar 00011111111111111000110011101111111111000000 would be 2 episodes of persistent diarrhoea (note the second episode has some diarrhoea free days, but do not amount to >=3 days,so it is still the same episode). This will require marking of the begining of an episode (in my case I have done this with first3) and last day of the episode (I am not sure how to derive this). Once this is done, then we can compute the duration between first3 and last day (lastday).

Again, I have not thought about missing value for diar in any of these definitions. For now I am assuming they are diarrhoea free days.

Can anyone help me get to the next stage,

Thanks in advance,
Shuaib