From   "Anderson, Bradley J" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Significance stars
Date   Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:31:01 -0400

Interesting history regarding the use of * and ** and I strongly agree with your comments.  Unfortunately, many editors and reviewers regard a certain level of Type I error (usually < .05) as a sacred criterion that defines what's important, and what's not important.  And what gets published and what does not get published.  Indeed, I've had editors who have required us to remove p-values and confidence intervals in favor of * and **.