RE: st: monthly means & CI

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: monthly means & CI
Date   Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:49:03 -0000

Svend had some very good advice here.

Here's some more.

0. Whatever you do, it seems that you should look at

females / (males + females)

and also

females / (males + females + unknown)

1. Plot your means against month.

2. If there's no seasonality there is little point
to splitting by month.

3. If there is seasonality, the tacit assumption that
separate months are mutually independent is unlikely. One
way forward is a generalised linear model with
binomial link and time of year as predictor.
A trigonometric approach might help. See

SJ-6-4  st0116  . . . .  Speaking Stata: In praise of trigonometric predictors
        Q4/06   SJ 6(4):561--579                                 (no commands)
        discusses the use of sine and cosine as predictors in
        modeling periodic time series and other kinds of periodic

Svend Juul