Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: installing hmm, minutes

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   Re: st: installing hmm, minutes
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:39:30 -0500

Jacob Wegelin --
-help egenmore- clearly indicates that the command is -egen- not -gen-
and less clearly that hmm() does not operate on string variables. But
-h strfun- has all you need.

input str5 ps
gen h=substr(ps,1,index(ps,":")-1)
gen m=substr(ps,index(ps,":")+1,.)