RE: st: combining two variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: combining two variables
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:37:39 -0000

Austin Nichols asked a similar question
privately. And his answer given publicly
(which I did not read until I had posted mine)
also raised warnings about various
aspects of the problem, just as you rightly do.

I wrote that line of code knowing that var1 and var2 might be
both not missing, but different; or both not missing,
and the same. I don't think Nora specified what she wanted for those
situations.

In the absence of rules, missing (don't
know) is an appropriate answer. This is Stata's
attitude, and that was mine here.

A more complete answer might be

gen newvar =
	cond(missing(var1), var2,
	cond(missing(var2), var1,
	cond(var1 == var2,  var1,
	. )))

That way missing is returned if
both variables are missing or
if both variables are non-missing but different.

Sergiy Radyakin

> Why would one need "if missing(var1, var2)" ?
>
> gen newvar=max(var1,var2)
>
> produces the same result, unless:
>
> Ambiguity exists, since Paswel Phiri Marenya wanted to "combine the
> variables in such a way that the data from one variable can
> replace the
> missing values from the other". It is as above if the
> situation of both
> non-missings is impossible (say, by way the variables are
> created). If,
> however, it is possible, then NGC's solution will yield new
> missings, which
> contradicts "data ... replace the missings". So because of
> the way the
> question is formulated, and because it's not known if both
> variables may
> have non-missings, you may wish to consider this code:
>
> gen newvar=var1
> replace newvar=var2 if var1==.

Nick Cox