Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: adding US state outlines

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   st: adding US state outlines
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:36:48 -0500

Julie Darnell--
I believe one of these may be what you want:
...see also
ssc desc usmaps
...and many other resources via

On 3/5/07, Maurizio Pisati <> wrote:
Yes , it is possible, provided you have a "polygon dataset" (see help file
for explanation) containing the definition of the complete outline of the
US. Suppose such dataset is called "UsOutline.dta". Then, you just have to
add option -polygon(...)- to your command:

# delimit;
spmap numberoffreeclinics if conterminous using "uscoordinates2",
id(id) ndfc(white) fc(Blues) ocolor(gs12 ..) clmethod(custom)
clbreaks (0 1 2 3 4 32)
polygon(data(UsOutline.dta) _other_suboptions_)