Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: treatreg (specification of indepvars_t)

From   Richard Lo <>
Subject   st: treatreg (specification of indepvars_t)
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:59:06 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Stata-listers,

Although I have read some materials on the treatment
effect model, I am still not sure whether I should
specify a structural or a reduced-form equation for
the treatment(selection) equation. According to the
textbooks of Wooldridge (2002) and Greene (2003), it
seems that a reduced-form treatment equation should be
used. Though in Maddala (1983, p120-122), it is not
clear which form is specified for the probit equation.

{It seems that the example given in the on-line help [
the command in (1)]specifies the excluded variables
only, which would not produce a reduced-form results
for the treatment equation [as the command in (2)

(1)treatreg ww wa cit, treat(wc=wmed wfed) twostep
(2)treatreg ww wa cit, treat(wc=wa cit wmed wfed)

As a result, I am puzzled at the correct way to
specify the variables (indepvars_t) for the treatment
equation. The results will be different depending on
whether only excluded variables or all the exogenous
variables are specified in the treatreg command.
[Unlike ivreg command which would produce the same
results when we specified either way. ]

Would be grateful that someone can give me some
guidance on this issue.

Thanks you for your kind help in advance.

Richard Lo

All New Yahoo! Mail  Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.