RE: st: Re: How to merge individual records to groups in a large dataset, w/o using collapse

From   "Steven Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: How to merge individual records to groups in a large dataset, w/o using collapse
Date   Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:12:42 +1300

Allon.
Here is some code that I used to create a new dataset of 'by group' means
when I was dealing w/ a dataset too large to collapse on my computer.  This
is a similar idea to what Michael suggested, but instead of using postfile
writes the results out to a new dataset.  The key thing to notice here is
that because of the way the data is sorted, the replacement of earlier
observation with the group means does not interfere with future
calculations.  You should be able to extend this code to create medians as
well.

Cheers,
Steve

step 1: local groups "list of variables that mark groups you want to
collapse by" in your example 'local groups "region6"'
step 2:

preserve;

qui foreach gp of local groups{;
sort `gp';
local i = 1;

 	levels `gp', local(grp);
 	foreach g of local grp {;

 		foreach var of varlist var1 var2 {;
 		su `var' [fw=weight5] if `gp'==`g', mean;
 		replace `var' = r(sum) in `i';
 		};

 	replace `gp' = `g' in `i';
 	local i = `i' + 1;