st: re counting missing

From   "Richard Hiscock" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: re counting missing
Date   Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:03:19 +1100

In study of swallowing I have oesophageal pressures measured many times on each patient and within patients these are
coded into one of 5 contraction types. Subjects may have none up to all of the types of contraction & many or no pressures
measured for each type.
I wish to count the number of pressures readings measured for each type of contraction for each patient.
I have achieved this by (may be a bit long handed)
by id class5: gen n =_n

by id class5: gen number =_N

by id: gen t=_N

drop if n < number

gen proportion = number/t

format proportion %9.2f

list id group class5 t n number proportion if id <3

| id group class5 t number propor~n |
1. | 1 reflux Normal 20 12 0.60 |
2. | 1 reflux synchronous 20 6 0.30 |
3. | 1 reflux High amplitude 20 2 0.10 |
4. | 2 reflux synchronous 12 3 0.25 |
5. | 2 reflux High amplitude 12 1 0.08 |
6. | 2 reflux Failure 12 8 0.67 |

In examining the data I wish to look at the distribution of proportion within each class5 category. To do this I need

to record zero in the proportions for class5 categories that did not occur within a subject. For example for subject id 2

| id group class5 t number propor~n |
| 2 reflux Normal 12 0 0 |
| 2 reflux synchronous 12 3 0.25 |
| 2 reflux High amplitude 12 1 0.08 |