From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Continous to categorical variable
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:03:40 -0000

Maybe I should describe a little bit better.

I do not want the variable to "become more like a normal distribution".
What I would like is the categories created to be such that the tails
contain less individuals, with an increase in the numbers as we get
closer to the middle category.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: 21 February 2007 16:48
Subject: st: RE: Continous to categorical variable

--- Mentzakis, Emmanouil wrote:
> I have a continous variable (i.e. income) and I would like to
> transform it into a categorical one (e.g 5 categories/levels or more).
> I would like to ask if there is any way that I can ask stata to create

> this variable deciding the appropriate cut-off points automatically so

> that the categories follow aproximately a normal distrubution or they
> are of equal size.

For the latter have a look at -help egen- and look at the cut function.
For the former: how would you expect a variable to become more like a
normal distribution by making it coarser?

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Department of Social Research Methodology Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address: