Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: Continous to categorical variable

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Continous to categorical variable
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:48:18 +0100

--- Mentzakis, Emmanouil wrote:
> I have a continous variable (i.e. income) and I would like to transform
> it into a categorical one (e.g 5 categories/levels or more).
> I would like to ask if there is any way that I can ask stata to create
> this variable deciding the appropriate cut-off points automatically so
> that the categories follow aproximately a normal distrubution or they
> are of equal size.

For the latter have a look at -help egen- and look at the cut function.
For the former: how would you expect a variable to become more like
a normal distribution by making it coarser?

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081