From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Continous to categorical variable
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:46:55 +0100

See help egen
You need the option -cut-

Regards, Sergiy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:42 PM
Subject: st: Continous to categorical variable

Dear all,
I have a continous variable (i.e. income) and I would like to transform
it into a categorical one (e.g 5 categories/levels or more).
I would like to ask if there is any way that I can ask stata to create
this variable deciding the appropriate cut-off points automatically so
that the categories follow aproximately a normal distrubution or they
are of equal size.

Thank you in advance
* For searches and help try: