Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: double loop issue

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: double loop issue
Date   Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:39:12 +0000 (GMT)

--- Molly Lipscomb <> wrote:
> I have a loop inside a loop so that I can merge a file into another
> file by several different variables (I have data on cities, and I
> need to merge in the data on cities by each city crossed in each
> observation).
> Right now I have the following code:
> forvalues p=1/55 {
> use C:\filename.dta
> foreach var in capital spending investment transfers ...
> ren `var' `var'_`p'
> save C:\filename.dta
> ..and then I open up the master data and merge in the renamed
> variables.
> }
> }
> The problem is that stata will only rename the first variable in my
> variable list--here capital, it ignores the other variables.

I don't see why he picks up on only capital, I do see that this loop
will only work the first time round the "p loop" since you are
changeing the variable names in file filename, so the second time round
the p loop the variables will be called capital_1, spending_1, etc. So
you within the loop you should save the file under a different name
(generally speaking you should never save changes to you master
dataset, but save do-files that carry out the desired changes. So if
you made mistake(and believe me everybody does) they are easy to fix.)

hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

All New Yahoo! Mail  Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.