Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Convert Dataset Sas to Stata

From   "Patrick Wöhrle Guimarães" <>
Subject   st: Convert Dataset Sas to Stata
Date   Sat, 17 Feb 2007 03:02:11 -0200

I generated one dataset in SAS and I would like to work in Stata. I
have Stat/Transfers 8.2 and I did the change. I used describe to see
the data and for my surprise they were in format string (all). The
question is: Stat/Transfers has utility if did the change in dataset
in format string?
 My dataset is short and I could use gen ..=real() or destring but
when I did this one value for example with: 05100 turn 5100 (i would
like to maintain the patern since zero dont have any utility - in
poststratum 01 turn 1).
 I saw do-files to covert dataset (usesas, for use this I have to
change 3 o 4 directories, instal savastata) , one post about transport
format file (XPOT), etc...
 My question is: which is the best solution to convert dateset to SAS
to Stata (more easy) that maintain the format of information - for
example 05100 is 05100 and not 5100. I never used stat/transfers but
in the first time the product of change is not good.