Re: st: mapping software

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected], Allen Glicksman <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: mapping software
Date   Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:05:23 -0500

mapping software packages such as ArcGIS separate maps (i.e., the boundaries of
the areal units) from the data that are being displayed. As long as you have
the boundary files, making maps showing your data is trivial, and requires no
special kind of data file (the data just tell the mapping software what colors
to fill in what location, and so as long as they can be matched with the id's
from the boundary files, you are fine). You can just export the data as text
(or use StatTransfer to transfer your Stata file to DBase IV format, which is
used by ArcGIS). You may download the boundary files for the census areal
units (e.g., blocks, block groups, tracts, counties, etc.) from the census.gov
website.

Kyle Hood

Quoting Allen Glicksman <[email protected]>:

I have a great deal of data at the zip code and census tract level for
the City/County of Philadelphia.  I analyze the data using Stata and
would like to export it to a mapping program so that I display results
on a map of the city.  I am not asking about exporting Stata files
directly to mapping software because I have been told that no such
possibility exists.  But I am interested in people's experiences with
such software.  If you wish, please reply off line to me personally at
[email protected] if this is not an appropriate question for the
list.  Thank you, Allen Glicksman

Allen Glicksman, Ph.D.
Director of Research and Evaluation
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging
642 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130-3409
Voice: 215.765.9000, ex. 5063
Fax: 215.765.9066
E-mail:  [email protected]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain information that is
confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this
email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please contact the sender immediately and then delete the email and any
attachment from your system.  Thank you for your cooperation.