Re: st: panel data models.

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: panel data models.
Date   Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:27:26 +0100

Such generic/theoretical (i.e. not related to Stata) questions are hardly answered on Statalist.
According to some statisticians, your questions are re-phrased as: given that I have panel data, which is the better way to estimate standard errors?
You can see some answers at:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/petersen/htm/papers/se/se_programming.htm
Briefly:
- using cross-sectional commands to manage panel data is not uncommon (at least in some disciplines, that one reviewed by Petersen, and mine also - innovation management)
- independently of which are your beliefs, Stata tells you if individual effects really exist (e.g. -xttest0- or the test at the bottom of the results of a fixed effect model). Obviously, not correcting the standard errors accordingly may give biased results (the magnitude of the bias depends on the type of the applied correction -- not all corrections lead to unbiased results)
- if you have panel data, the use of GLS lets you to take advantage of the maximum amount of information available (coefficients may be biased, too)
Hope this helps,
Nicola