st: reported subpop no. of observations seems wrong? and is subpop needed with replicate wgts.?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reported subpop no. of observations seems wrong? and is subpop needed with replicate wgts.?
Date   Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

With Stata 9, I am using survey regression with the subpop command e.g.,

svy, subpop(var1): reg dep1 ind1

The regression result reports "Number of obs" and "Subpop. no. of obs".
Based on running a few scenarios, the "Number of obs" includes all
observations that have non-missing values for the regression variables,
including the weights. This is as expected; however, the "Subpop. no. of
obs" seems to include all observations that have a "1" for the subpop,
including those observations that have missing values for the regression
variables.

An actual example is below where I would have thought "Subpop. no. of obs"
would have been 5329, not 5436. (This is a simple example. I am estimating
several models with different sets of variables and am only able to find
out how many observations Stata is really using by running an extra
command such as: count if !missing(var1, var2, etc.).)

Lastly, I know if I am using the Taylor series approach to estimate
parameter standard errors within a subpopulation, subpop is required
(i.e., this is wrong: svy: reg dep1 ind1 if female==1). However, if I am
using replicate weights, is subpop required?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent Fulton
Petris Center at UC Berkeley