From   "Mak, Timothy" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Trends in No. of rooms & No. of occupants
Date   Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:13:50 -0000

This is rather too general a question. Usually one would explore by
plotting various graphs first. Perhaps a Box plot might be a starting
point. Then you may think about transforming data and applying a
suitable technique, which would probably be regression. If you have a
large database, perhaps quantile regression might be useful.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Todd
Sent: 07 February 2007 17:01
Subject: st: Trends in No. of rooms & No. of occupants

Good evening. Im looking for a bit of advice on analysis of a database
from a household survey in Haiti.

I have one variable 'q5rooms'that tells how many rooms are in the house.

I have a second variable 'q22occups' that tells how many persons livein
the house.

As you might imagine, I am using these to build a picure of household
economic status.

I am trying to see if there is a proportional trend in the number of
rooms and the number of occupants. That is to say, do the people
reporting a larger number of rooms also report a larger number of

Thanks for any advice