Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: "testing" a cluster analysis

From   "Alan Neustadtl" <>
Subject   Re: st: "testing" a cluster analysis
Date   Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:50:13 -0500

Consider ANOVA or regression with dummy variables for your clusters.

On 2/6/07, Adam Seth Litwin <> wrote:
Hello.  I just ran a cluster analysis, not a technique I use frequently.  I
have seven binary variables forming, at the moment, five clusters.  I
thought a useful exercise would be the following:

For each of the seven variables, examine its mean in all five clusters.
Then, run an F-test to show that the means are not equal across all five

So, for example, I type
- tabstat  var1, by(CLUSTER) stat(n mean)

But, I'm not sure how to run the F-test.  Really, I am doing a group
comparison of means.  But, I cannot use

- ttest var1, by(CLUSTER)

since there are more than two clusters.

Any thoughts?  Thank you for your help.  adam