Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: option -robust- for -glm- and -poisson-

From   nicola.baldini2@unibo.it
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: option -robust- for -glm- and -poisson-
Date   Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:04:17 +0100

In Stata, -robust- means Huber/White/sandwich estimator of variance correcting the standard errors only for heteroscedasticity.
The following is a website discussing the corrections for the standard errors (it discusses corrections for panel data, nonetheless several are used for cross-sectional data as well, and I found it quite interesting for non-experienced researchers/Stata users -- Stata commands are cited, too, and discussed)
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/petersen/htm/papers/se/se_programming.htm

Huber, P. J. (1967), ‘The behavior of maximum likelihood estimates under nonstandard conditions’, in Proceedings of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, Vol. 1, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, pp. 221-233.
White, H., 1984, “A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test of Heteroskedasticity,” Econometrica 48, 817-838.