RE: st: RE: joint significant

From   "White, Justin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: joint significant
Date   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:51:11 -0500

No.  You reject the null when the p-value is less than the set
confidence criterion.  You fail to reject the null when the p-value is
greater than the set confidence criterion.

Examples:
P-value = 0.0890

Confidence criterion
0.10 = 90%
0.05 = 95%
0.01 = 99%

At a 90% confidence level, you would reject the null b/c 0.0890 < 0.10
At a 95% confidence level, you would fail to reject the null b/c 0.0890
> 0.05
At a 99% confidence level, you would fail to reject the null b/c 0.0890
> 0.01

You can establish you own confidence level by subtracting the p-value
from 1.

If the p-value is less than the confidence criterion, then you reject
the null.  If the p-value is greater than the confidence criterion, then
you fail to reject the null.

Justin White