Re: st: FGLS-SUR model estimation in STATA

From   Kyle Hood <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FGLS-SUR model estimation in STATA
Date   Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:35:51 -0500 (EST)

GLS is a least squares procedure in which the variance-covariance matrix of the residuals is not proportional to the identity matrix. My interpretation is that FGLS refers to any estimation procedure in which an initial procedure is used to generate a consistent estimate of the error covariance matrix, which is then plugged in to a GLS procedure. Because of this, I believe that any SUR procedure that does not ask you to somehow input information about the error covariance matrix must estimate this matrix itself, and so has to performing FGLS.

Kyle